Sunday, December 5, 2010

Week One: Making Friends With My Garmin


Training Week One ~ Completed as written! First time EVER I have actually stuck to the entire program and gotten all my time in as instructed. My plan for this season is to actually follow my coach's written program with as little deviation as possible. I have come to the realization that I may not know quite as much as I think I know and maybe, just maybe, the one I pay for the expertise could know more. AND considering my fantabulous results in NOLA 70.3 last year, I am thinking it might be a good idea to get on board early.

The weeks challenges? Lots of running on my plan. The distances weren't bad, but there were lots of run days. Re-introduction of a strength and conditioning program to get my 32% body fat down to a 24%. Hence my screaming calf muscles from calf raises and running. Keeping focused on the program. I had to battle through the discomfort and fight the urge to stay in bed on those cold mornings and choose to get up and run in 32 degree weather in the dark...which was even more difficult when certain teammates bailed or threatened to bail on me (I will not name names, but you know who you are!). Fighting the urge to puke when I run. Discovering that when my heart rate jumps with my increased speed I want to puke, and trying to learn how I can control that.


Lessons Learned for the Week:
1) Do NOT drink a beer before a race, even if it is a fun "Reindeer Run".
2) Do NOT run in exercise pants or long sleeves no matter the temperature. I overheat and would do better just being cold to start out with.
3) Keep my cold weather gear in a logical spot at the end of the winter season so when the next season starts I can find it easily.
4) Early to bed makes early to rise so much more pleasant.
5) Lube my bike chain before a test ride...especially when I haven't ridden in a long time.
6) Appreciate the long hours adventure racing ~ they have really helped my endurance and strength.
7) Stretch, stretch, stretch. Bio-freeze. Epsom salts. Stretch again. Keep moving. It will eventually stop hurting.

Time planned: 9:37
Time completed: 9:53

No comments:

Post a Comment